вторник, 18 сентября 2012 г.

PREP PROFILE.(SPORTS)(PREP PROFILE)(Column) - The Capital Times

Editor's note: Each week during the high school season, a male and female athlete are featured in The Capital Times in the 'Prep Profile' as they answer questions about academics, athletics, their favorite pastimes and plans for the future. If you know of an athlete who meets the 'profile' by excelling on the playing field and in the classroom, contact preps coordinator Dennis Semrau at 252-6490. Or e-mail: dsemrau@madison.com

Garrett Notstad

School: Cambridge.

Year: senior.

Sports: football, basketball, baseball.

Fast Facts: Notstad was a three-time letterwinner and three-year starter at defensive back in football for the Bluejays. He earned All-Capitol Conference first-team honors at defensive back as a junior and senior. A two-year starter at running back, he rushed for over 800 yards and 10 touchdowns, and was a co-captain as a senior. He was named the team's Most Valuable Player on offense and earned second-team all-league honors at running back as a senior. He was a member of the Bluejays' Capitol Conference championship football team as a junior. Notstad is a returning letterwinner in basketball, where he is a reserve guard. Notstad is a three-time letterwinner in baseball and a three-year starter as a third baseman and shortstop.

Cumulative grade-point average: 3.85.

Favorite subject: science.

Three words to describe me are: humorous, energetic, outgoing.

How I got started in sports: I started playing teeball and soccer when I was in first grade, and football and basketball in fourth grade.

My most memorable moment in sports was: dedicating last year's undefeated regular season in football to Dustin 'Dozer' Zuelsdorf, who was killed in a motorcycle accident that summer.

I enjoy high school sports because: of the competition and we play for the love of the game.

I enjoy playing football because: it is the ultimate team sport and you have to think on the fly.

My role models are: my parents, Jeff and Sandy Notstad.

Favorite athlete: Jackie Robinson.

Favorite teams: Milwaukee Brewers and Wisconsin Badgers.

Favorite movie: Tommy Boy.

Favorite TV show: ESPN SportsCenter.

Favorite food: barbecued ribs.

Favorite sports to watch on TV: college football and college basketball.

Favorite place to visit: Camp Randall Stadium.

I want to visit: Lambeau Field.

I listen to: Kanye West.

Radio preset: 105.9 FM.

Favorite quote: 'Never say never.'

Favorite restaurant: Olive Garden.

I drive: a 1989 Buick LaSabre.

I wish I could meet: Walton Payton.

My favorite personal possession is: my 'Dozer 52' cross and necklace.

I like Cambridge High School because: of our close-knit community and you can get to know everybody in school.

My perfect day would be: following a professional football player around to see what he does and how he prepares for practices and games.

This and that: Member of National Honor Society...participated on math team...tutors second grade students at Cambridge Elementary... worked for Cambridge activities program as a youth football, basketball and baseball coach at summer camps...played American Legion baseball for three years...hobbies include weightlifting, hunting, ceramics and playing sports.

Post-high school plans: attend UW-Madison to study sports medicine or physical therapy.

Career: athletic trainer.

Samantha Yakey

School: Sun Prairie.

Year: senior.

Sports: volleyball, basketball, softball.

Fast Facts: Yakey is a three-time letterwinner in basketball as a forward. A two-year starter, she was the team's Most Improved Player as a junior. The team's defensive stopper, she has played a key role in Sun Prairie's 5-0 start, which includes a 4-0 record in Big Eight Conference play. Yakey was a three-time letterwinner and two-year starter at middle hitter in volleyball for the Cardinals. She was a co-captain and earned All-Big Eight Conference second-team honors as a senior. Her junior season, Sun Prairie won the Big Eight title and advanced to the WIAA Division 1 sectional finals. Yakey is a two-time letterwinner in softball. She started at first base as a junior.

Cumulative grade-point average: 3.87.

Favorite subjects: mathematics, science.

Three words to describe me are: humorous, easy-going, dedicated.

How I got started in sports: I started playing teeball and swimming when I was 5 years old, playing basketball in third grade and volleyball in sixth grade.

My most memorable moments in sports were: Earning our only win in basketball my freshman year and sweeping Watertown 3-0 in volleyball in the regional finals my junior year.

I enjoy high school sports because: of the feeling you get when you work hard and achieve a common goal with your friends.

I wish I could play: soccer.

Advice: 'Get involved.'

My role models are: my parents, Sam and Jan Yakey.

Favorite team: Wisconsin Badgers.

Favorite movie: Forrest Gump.

Favorite TV show: The O.C..

Favorite foods: macaroni and cheese; mashed potatoes.

Favorite sports to watch on TV: beach volleyball; men's college basketball.

Favorite place to visit: my grandparents' farm in Stevens Point.

I want to visit: Australia.

I listen to: Country music.

Radio presets: Q-106 FM; 105.9 FM.

Favorite quote: 'You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take.'

Favorite restaurant: Noodles and Co.

I drive: a 2000 Grand Am.

I would like to meet: Jesus.

I like Sun Prairie High School because: of the teachers and my classmates.

My perfect day would be: sleeping late, shopping and then spending the rest of the day with my family and friends at the lake.

My nickname is: Sami.

This and that: Member of National Honor Society, Students Against Destructive Decisions, Student Council and Key Club...serves as a peer tutor and is an elementary school mentor... three-year co-chair of school's blood drive... youth volleyball and basketball coach...played club volleyball with the Wisconsin Select program since eighth grade...hobbies include swimming, biking, Rollerblading and winter activities.

Post-high school plans: study pharmacy and sports medicine, and play volleyball or basketball.

Career: interior decorator.

CAPTION(S):

Photos of Garrett Notstad and Samantha Yakey