воскресенье, 16 сентября 2012 г.

IT'S A MAN'S WORLD. - The Mail on Sunday (London, England)

Byline: MIKE PEAKE

JAMIE THEAKSTON The presenter on his fashion, fitness and style regimes

I saw Nick Knowles on TV the other night wearing a black vest and an ethnic surfer's necklace - what kind of signal is that sending out? I think he might have been wearing bracelets as well, which is fine if you're a 13-year-old who spends more time on his skateboard than with his friends, but not if you're a man in his mid-forties. I don't do jewellery. I've never understood it at all.

I blew [pounds sterling]1,000 on a suit I wore once. It was by Dior and I bought it for the Oscars last year.

It was a big mistake. Dior is fine if you're short or Pete Doherty, but it clearly isn't designed with people like me in mind - 6ft 5in and slightly overweight. I don't worry that I am overweight, but some people tell me I am.

In fact, I think I'm just going to let myself go.

'Whenever my mother wants to embarrass me she picks out a photo of me in lederhosen' The first time I tried to bench-press, just lifting the bar was a struggle. To be honest, I haven't been to the gym for 18 months - if I bumped into my personal trainer now, she'd probably chase me down the road. I find gyms incredibly boring. I like team sports and games, but the idea of running on a machine- there are just so many more important things to be done.

I fence - I've been doing that since I was at school. And I play golf and cricket, although they aren't the most aerobic of activities.

I hate my long arms and legs. I'm long-limbed, so buying shirts and trousers is a struggle. If I was more of a standard size I'd find the clothes-buying experience more enjoyable; I end up buying things that fit rather than what I really want. Going bespoke is one solution, and most suits I own were made for me.

Another staple is a V-neck sweater: I've spent as much as [pounds sterling]300 on a cashmere one, and as little as [pounds sterling]20 at M&S.

Shorts never look good on me. I just don't have the right set-up for any kind of short trousers. I have worn lederhosen before - when I was three.

Whenever my mother feels the need to embarrass me she picks out the photos of me as a toddler in lederhosen.

I need to buy some nasal clippers.

There comes a point in a man's life when he just has to have some. The hairs aren't troubling me too much at the moment, but I am a bit vain about things like that. On a scale of onetoten for vanity, I'd give myself an eight, which is probably too much, really.

I want more men to wear chaps.

I have a cowboys-and-Indians theme party that I'm going to and I think I might single-handedly try and reintroduce chaps into the male wardrobe.

My biggest fashion mistake was a pair of army boots. I thought they would make me look quite cool, but they turned out to be one of the campest things in my wardrobe. Everything I wore with them just looked wrong. Maybe if I was shorter, and had a shaved head- My girlfriend has banned hats. I'm a big fan, but I don't tend to synchronise them with an outfit, so I've sometimes been asked if the hat was strictly necessary. My favourite is a white trilby, which I'm hoping will make a reappearance in the summer. Jamie Theakston presents 'The Search' on Channel 4, Sundays at 9pm

Adidas Stan Smiths I've got loads of trainers - they're pretty much my staple diet as far as footwear isconcerned.

adidas.com Rogan jeans Excellent but not cheap.

If you want a pair of Rogans be prepared to move into the threefigurepricebracket.

rogannyc.com You can't beat it. I've used it as a moisturiser for years. I moisturise every morning, and my skin's in pretty good shape.

Nivea TaylorMade golf clubs I've got a set of TaylorMade woods and Nike irons. I have a handicap of 18, which isn't bad but I hope to improve it this year.

taylormadegolf.com Black & White hair dressing pomade I've been using it since I was at school and it's brilliant. I once used some on my backside after a walking holiday - it's good for chafing, too.